BORREGO HEALTH SPECIALTY CLINICS
Since its establishment, Borrego Health and Borrego Health Specialty Clinics have expanded significantly. Today, we adhere to high standards of patient care and community support. Our services help thousands of patients each year. We are prepared to serve generations of your family, and want to be part of your community. You are more than just patients to us.
We are your medical home.
Located in Desert Hot Springs, only 12 miles from downtown Palm Springs, Borrego Health Specialty Care Center specializes in HIV, hepatitis C, and transgender care. Our approach to treating and promoting health care for our patients embodies a variety of services. From primary care to medication and hormonal treatments to lab work, we offer a unique approach to servicing our patients’ needs.
Expanding to meet the ongoing needs of the community, our newest location in Cathedral City, Stonewall Medical Center, boasts our own pharmacy and offers quality, compassionate continuity of care to the LGBT+ community and the general patient population.
Our mission statement says, “our primary focus is the underserved”. Many who are sometimes marginalized by mainstream society populate our waiting rooms. This includes members of the LGBT community and people from different races and ethnicities.
At Borrego Health Specialty Care Center, all people who walk through our doors are treated with dignity and respect. Providers, patients, and staff share the belief that all patients should be treated individually, where each treatment and request is addressed separately, in the very best way possible.
Borrego Health provides high quality, comprehensive, compassionate primary health care to the people in our communities, regardless of their ability to pay. We serve these communities and adjoining regions with respect, dignity, and cultural sensitivity. We desire to be a medical home and safety net for essential health care and social services.
Borrego Health is a non-profit 501(c)(3) Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) and a Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) facility. The federal government acts as the primary insurer. FTCA deeming enables us to invest more to maintain and increase health care services and fund quality improvement activities in our service areas.
Borrego Health, operating in San Diego, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, tailors its programs to meet the health needs of men, women, and children in our surrounding communities.
At Borrego Health, we have convenient hours on evenings and weekends at most of our sites, in order to provide you and your family access to a multitude of services. We look forward to your visit.
For complete information on Borrego Health, please visit our main website: www.borregohealth.org
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Our Board of Directors is composed of twelve people from various career paths and walks of life.
DAN ANDERSON, Chairman
SANDRA (SANDY) HANSBERGER, Vice-Chairman
MICHAEL HICKOK, Secretary/Treasurer
CHUCK KIMBALL. Min., Trustee
HARRY E. ILSLEY., Trustee
DAVID HERNANDEZ, Trustee
SARAH ROGERS, Trustee
JENNA RISA LECONTE-HINELY, Trustee
CIPRIANO MARTINEZ, Trustee
GABRIEL MOLDONADO, Trustee
KEENAN FREEMAN, Trustee
JOSE CAMPOS, Trustee
MARTHA DEICLER, Trustee
HIPAA & PATIENT RIGHTS
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 mandated changes in federal regulations governing the provision of health benefits, delivery and payment of healthcare services, and security and confidentiality of patient health information. The federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) oversees the implementation of these regulations, including rules regarding patient privacy that were effective April 14, 2003.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Medical information about the patient may be used and disclosed by the Borrego Health and the Borrego Health Specialty Clinics. The patient will also have rights and responsibilities as to how to access this information.
Borrego Health Specialty Clinics protects medical information about the patient, creating a record of the care and services the patient receives.
Borrego Health Specialty Clinics is required by law to make sure medical information is protected. The clinic must also give notice describing legal duties and privacy practices with respect to medical information about the patient.
Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may use medical information about the patient to provide medical treatment or services, including the cases described below.
1. Disclosure of medical information about the patient may be given to doctors and other health care personnel who are involved in taking care of the patient. We may also share medical information about the patient with other Borrego Health personnel or non-Borrego Health Specialty Clinics providers, agencies or facilities in order to provide or coordinate the different types of care the patient may need.
2. Disclosure of medical information about the patient for treatment and services the patient receives at Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may be billed to and payment may be collected from the patient, an insurance company or a third party. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may also disclose the patient’s health plan about a proposed treatment to secure approval for the plan.
3. Disclosure of medical information about the patient may occur for Borrego Health Specialty Clinics’ and Borrego Health’s operations. Medical information may also be used or disclosed to comply with law and regulation, for contractual obligations, patients' claims, grievances or lawsuits, health care contracting, legal services, business planning and development, business management and administration, performance improvement and educational purposes, underwriting and other insurance activities and to operate the health system.
4. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may contact the patient to remind him or her of appointments at our facilities; recommend possible treatment options or alternatives that may be interesting to the patient; contact the patient about benefits or services that Borrego Health Specialty Clinics provides; provide information about Borrego Health Specialty Clinics sponsored activities, including fundraising programs and events; inquire if the patient wants to be part of a media or news story; or to release medical information to anyone involved in the patient’s medical care or medical payments.
5. Disclosure of medical information about the patient may be granted to an entity assisting in a disaster relief effort so that the patient’s family can be notified about condition, status, and location.
6. Research projects conducted by Borrego Health Specialty Clinics must be approved by the Director of Research to protect patient safety, welfare and confidentiality. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may use and disclose pertinent medical information for research purposes, subject to the confidentiality provisions of state and federal law. Enrollment in studies can only occur after the patient has been informed about the study, had an opportunity to ask questions, and indicated a willingness to participate by signing a consent form. The patient’s medical information will continue to be protected.
7. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics will disclose medical information about the patient when required to do so by federal or state law.
8. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may use and disclose medical information about the patient when necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health and safety of the patient or the health and safety of the public or another person.
9. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may use or disclose medical information about the patient for workers' compensation or similar programs as authorized or required by law.
10. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may disclose medical information about the patient for public health purposes, such as (but not limited to) the following: prevention and/or disease control, injury or disability; report of vital events; report of child abuse or neglect; notification to a person who may have been exposed to a disease or may be at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition; or legally required notification to the appropriate government authority if believed that the patient has been the victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
11. Disclosure of medical information may be given to governmental, licensing, auditing, and accrediting agencies as authorized or required by law; to courts, attorneys and court employees in the course of conservatorship and certain other judicial or administrative proceedings, when required by law; or in response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, discovery request, warrant, summons or other lawful process, when required by law.
12. When legally necessary, Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may disclose medical information to law enforcement for these reasons: to identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person; to provide information about a suspected victim of a crime if, under certain limited circumstances, we are unable to obtain the person's agreement; about a death suspected to be the result of criminal conduct; about criminal conduct at Borrego Health Specialty Clinics; or in the case of a medical emergency to report a crime, the location of the crime or victims, or the identity, description or location of the person who committed the crime.
13. Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may disclose medical information to a coroner or medical examiner. The clinic may also disclose medical information about patients to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties.
14. As authorized or required by law, Borrego Health Specialty Clinics may disclose medical information about the patient to authorized federal officials for intelligence, counterintelligence, and other national security activities; so they may conduct special investigations or provide protection to the President, other authorized persons or foreign heads of state; or to a correctional institution or law enforcement officials, if the patient is an inmate.
15. Furthermore, Borrego Health Specialty Clinics and Borrego Health reserve the right to ask permission to disclose medical information in ways that have not been covered above, always preserving HIPAA abiding rules. Borrego Health Specialty Care Clinics obeys all applicable state and federal laws related to the protection of this information.
The patient has rights regarding medical information Borrego Health Specialty Clinics maintains under its ownership.
The patient has the right to do the following:
1. Inspect and/or receive copies of medical information, with certain limitations;
2. Amend the information or add an addendum, if he or she proves that the information is wrong or incomplete;
3. Request a restriction or limitation on the medical information Borrego Health Specialty Clinics uses or discloses about the patient for treatment, payment or health care operations.
4. Request a limit on the medical information Borrego Health Specialty Clinics discloses about the patient to a family member, spouse, partner, or friend, regardless of his or her connections to the patient;
5. Request confidential communications regarding the patient’s medical records in a certain way or at a certain location.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Borrego Health Specialty Care Clinics consist of a team of professionals committed to the delivery of quality healthcare services to our servicing communities. You can be a part of service expansion, technological advances, and an environment conducive to personal and professional development. We are proud of the talented, knowledgeable and dedicated employees who have helped build our tradition of excellence in healthcare.
Borrego Health Specialty Clinics offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and a team-oriented environment. Whether you have many years of experience or are just beginning your career, we invite you to learn more about the opportunities at Borrego Health.
Special accommodations to access job openings or apply for a job are available from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday. Please, call (760) 767.6600 for questions or concerns.